Sunday, November 3, 2013

It's a wash

Seriously.... Kuala Lumpur is just a wash.  Right now it is pouring.  It's pretty crazy.  I guess we are beginning the rainy season.

Ya know how sometimes you visit a new place and the second you touch down you're super into it.  Yeah... that didn't happen here.  At all.  It seems like a big city with nothing  to say for itself.  If you like malls, then you'd love it here as there are malls on top of malls here.  Like five malls connected.  About 5 floors each.  It's kinda obnoxious.  Most of them stores from home.  High end stores like Burberry and then the lower end stores like h & m and forever 21. If I ever were to move to Malaysia (or any southeast Asian country I'm sure) I'm going to have to seriously think about getting a breast reduction.  My boobs are so not made for the clothes here.  I hope that my bras don't go down the shitter when I'm here.

But anyway.... I shouldn't complain.  I'm out doing what I love.  And so... I ended up in a city that I'm not super fond of.... So.... that means I should leave!  So that's what I'm doing.  I'm going to go to a southern Malaysian town/city called Malacca (or Melaka).  On wikitravel (which is so much better than lonely planet) it was an option in the get out section on the Kuala Lumpur page.  So we shall see.  I spend a couple days there and then will head to Thailand.  I booked a flight for approx $40.

It's weird to be in a big city after Bali.  To have to watch my bags as if something is going to happen to it.  I mean you always have to worry about it... But there were several times that I would leave my bag sitting on the table.  Or leave my phone out.  Nothing would happen to it in Bali.  Cities you worry more.  I do miss the Balinese.  Really nice people.  At least the ones I've run into.

Malaysia is an interesting mix of people.  There is definitely a strong Indian and middle eastern influence here... And not so much "typical Asian".  For some reason I wasn't expecting that.  Not that it's bad or anything.  It's just an observation.

Something I've noticed in southeast Asia as opposed to south America.  When someone local asks me where I'm from I always say the United States. And I always get a confused look.  So then I say... America.  And they almost ALWAYS say... Oh... America... Barack Obama.  Indonesia always brought up Obama. So far can't tell about Malaysia. But anyway... I never like to say I'm from America... I like to say the United States because technically all the countries in North and South America are just as much from America as those in the United States.  I don't know why that bothers me but it does.  I wish we were called United staters or something.  But anyway....

This hostel that I'm staying at is pretty dull.  No one seems to care to converse.  I did end up talking to an older guy from San Francisco who gave me all his maps. Nice guy and has been traveling the world for seven years with no sight of permanently going home.  My kinda guy.  But he left on an overnight train somewhere.  I was hoping to connect with people on couchsurfing but no luck there either.  Did talk to an English guy at the reggae bar down the street.  He was cool.  Southeast Asia loves their reggae bars.  They seem to be everywhere here.

Okay... I'm gonna go read... Hope all is well back home!  Although I think baseball is ridiculously boring.... I'm glad that the Sox won!  Yay Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment