Wednesday, October 23, 2013

in ubud...

Seriously.... this place just gives you a sense that you're home. Yes... It has become a serious tourist trap (sadly there is a Starbucks here) but it is just so comfortable. The people are warm and friendly and the landscape is beautiful.  And you never feel in a rush to do anything.  Just really peaceful.  There is a bit of traffic on the main roads where I stayed the first two nights but since I moved I feel like it's been a lot more tranquil. I am staying at a family compound which is beautiful. On a hill with a garden by the ubud palace.  The family is nice and the breakfast is plentiful and delicious. A big fruit salad too.  There is a group of children playing music nearby and it's fun.

Today seems a little bit cooler than the past couple days. I guess it is usually a bit cooler than it is now. At least that is what I hear from the locals. I heard it in padang bai and gili trawangan too. Seems I go where the humidity is. Awesome. At night it cools down so an open window and fan are good.

So far southeast Asia has a different feel than south America. Of course I am saying this only based on visiting Bali. It is definitely more relaxing here. And while there are a lot of tourists a lot of time is spent solo. Originally I hated it since so much of my love for south America was the people I met. But now I'm embracing it. It's nice to be in a beautiful place with just you and your thoughts. I have met some people... couchsurfers who have welcomed me into their circle of friends. And that has been nice. It's interesting learning about the difference in cultures. And also to learn how much similarity there is. It's not so much "a whole different world".  One of the girls I met at a coffee shop and she said... "I hear that people in the western world just take their coffee to go.  Here it is meant to be enjoyed... to sit with your friends and talk."  I appreciate that. And I know that some of you reading will say cause we don't have time and that's why we are more developed, etc but there should be emphasis on building relationships, human interaction, etc.  People are happy because they have what they need.  But anyway, I'm not going to get into any sort of discussion about it. I'm just going to take it and build on that for my own personal growth.

So a first for me so far on this trip... riding on a motorbike. Never been on one before and honestly they scare me. I know three people who've died in motorcycle accidents and they just make me nervous. Luckily no problems. It is a but nerve racking since traffic here is a whatever goes type way. But we made it. I didn't get that rush that some people do after riding one. No desire to go home and get one.

Some mishaps... in Munich I was at a bar where they had that sledgehammer game where you hit the scale and a little marker goes up and rings a bell. I didn't play but someone did and when they put the sledgehammer down it fell into my ankle. Crazy pain. even while drunk. So... It turned into a bruise but I'm all better now.  Another mishap... part of my filling came out yesterday during lunch. my vegetable panini all of a sudden got crunchy.  TIM I'm sure but it's not so bad. So far it's not too sensitive. I have travel health insurance so I may get it taken care of if it gets worse.  Can't think of anything else.

Okay... I'm going to post this.... hopefully it goes through. a completely different blog than the one I had written the other day. But enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment