Thursday, March 6, 2014

three weeks left!

Woah!  I can't believe only three weeks left!  Granted I was suppose to be back already... But wow.. three weeks.  Sometimes I forget how long I've been out here... then I look at photos, or read my journal(so proud of continuing to keep up with it), or remember back to something from this trip thinking that it MUST be from south america only because it was so long ago.  It's been a great ride so far.  :)

I'm in Malaysia right now.  Whoever thought I'd be back here?  I sure as hell didn't.  But I'm on the Borneo side.  And I met up with a friend I made in Thailand.  So it's been good to hang out again.  It is always super when you can meet up with people again.  Always.  I'm sure I've said that before.... But it's great.  :)

So I went diving here again!  I get a bit anxious before going in but once I'm down there I think to myself... "why haven't I done this in so long?"  I decided to get my advanced open water.  Yay!  So now I can dive down to 30meters.  (Sorry friends back home, I don't know what that means in feet).  We did a nightdive too but since the dive shop had ZERO corrective lenses masks I didn't see too much. But the rest of the group saw seahorses and squid and other things.  Oh well... I guess that means I'll just have to do another one... with corrective lenses.  I'm still amazed they had zero.  Even -2 is better than 0. But whatever... I passed.

And not only that but I was fortunate enough to dive in sipadan which is one of the top diving destinations in the world.  How lucky am I?  This all wouldn't have happened if I didn't meet a guy in my hostel at sandakan.  I was walking with Denice here singing Justin Timberlake.  And then Andi was behind me and said "you're still singing?"  Clearly he has no idea who I am.  Anyway... he managed to find a shop that had permits for diving in Sipadan for March 6.  Normally these book out weeks in advance.  He asked if I was interested and of course I said yes.  It was expensive... But worth it.  Three dives in the beautiful waters here... including baracuda point which was just stunning.  We saw sharks, turtles... huge turtles, a giant school of baracudas, unicorn fish, scorpion fish, gorgeous coral and so much more!  Just really great.  I always say this world is beautiful and that includes the world below.  :)  one bummer though was that I got a bad earache so I swam closer to the surface than I would have liked.  But I'm getting better (saw a doctor... got eardrops and antibiotics for only USD7.50.... SO CHEAP).  I fly tomorrow to Myanmar and the doctor said I should be fine but there may be some discomfort.  I hope he's right!   Even if there is discomfort the diving was worth it!  I've really been spoiled during these dives.  I only have done 15 dives but I've seen so much!  Very very lucky!

And so yeah... Myanmar tomorrow with a ridiculously long layover in Kuala Lumpur.  I hope I can leave the airport and get a decent sleep.  If not... I hope the seats in KLIA are comfortable!  I'm excited about Myanmar.  Everyone who I've met who went there has said incredible things.  Several were solo female travelers.  :)  And all the photos I've seen have been gorgeous.  Exciting!

Okay... I'm going to write in my journal now.  :)  I'm so surprised that I've kept it this long.  South America I think I ditched the idea in a month.  Anyway... peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment